Cloud computing, specifically IaaS, is a rapidly going service, being adopted worldwide by enterprises big and small. Forecasts predict that by the end of 2020, 67% of enterprise IT infrastructure and software spending will be for cloud-based offerings. That is a huge chunk of IT budget that is going to modern infrastructure adoption and usage. One key player in this market is serverless architecture. Serverless computing initiates a conscious shift in the way businesses are run and improves the impact of technology services. Serverless’ benefits allow enterprises to operate without the worry of the underlying operating system and infrastructure.
Global Market Trends
Serverless computing is a new cloud computing paradigm with enormous economic growth potential. Factors that drive growth are:
- A rise in cloud-native services
- The emergence and development of the Internet of Things
- Increased adoption of cloud computing and the consequently rising demand for cloud automation
- Its simplicity and economic advantages.
The economic advantage of going serverless is the most significant driver of growth. Serverless architecture allows you to shift from CAPEX to OPEX by removing the need to manage servers, thereby reducing the infrastructure cost.
According to forecasts, the serverless architecture market will reach an estimated market value of $21.1 billion (USD) by 2025. By 2021, the market is expected to attain $7.2 billion. The CAGR for serverless architecture is 22.7% between 2020-2025.
With technologically and economically advanced countries like the US and Canada, North America is the largest market shareholder in a serverless architecture. Europe is the second most dominant region in the growth of serverless architecture, followed by the Asia Pacific.
Advantages Of Going Serverless
Servers have long been a part of computing infrastructure. But as cloud computing gains traction and companies move to web-based server infrastructure, serverless architecture is rapidly gaining popularity. Here are some known benefits of going serverless:
- Organizations can get rid of the pain points that come with high power and complicated application stacks. Avoiding both the difficulty to build and manage, serverless sets up an intuitive environment that’s easy to work with.
- Not only is physical infrastructure expensive but also capital expenditure. With time they depreciate and are vulnerable to breakdowns, only adding cost! Company expenses are cut down by serverless architecture as they cut down on the investment in human resource deployment.
- Serverless empowers companies to make use of microservices. With the broad scope of operations taken care of by them, you can cut down on the release cycle timeline significantly.
- Restrictive, time-consuming workflows are a thing of the past with serverless architecture. Coders can better utilize their time and, therefore, enhance their productivity with this architecture type in place.
Serverless Powered by OpenStack
Serverless is opening up new avenues for businesses and allowing them to explore their full potential cost-effectively. OpenStack, too, supports serverless architecture. The OpenStack project Qinling provides a platform for serverless functionality. Additionally, Qinling supports container orchestration platforms and function package storage backends.
With over nine years of OpenStack experience, VEXXHOST is here to walk you through everything you need. Our OpenStack Consulting service can help you determine if you should reap the benefits of serverless or go the traditional way.
Like what you’re reading?
Deep dive into a hands-on ebook about how you can build a successful infrastructure from the ground up!