Cloud computing is a common hot topic for small businesses and global enterprises. With different service models based on types of computing, it is important for you to understand their differences and find one that caters to your niche in the expanse of cloud territory.
Know the three basic service categories better and get your computing needs taken care of:
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Do you need a data center infrastructure on-demand? IaaS primarily focuses on these needs. It comprises of highly scalable automated compute software. In this model, a vendor provides customers with pay-as-you-go access to storage, networking, and other computing resources in the cloud. Therefore, cost varies depending on consumption. You do not need to worry about fluctuating workloads because infrastructure is scalable. Not only can IaaS be utilized for data centers, it can also be used for building a virtual server environment, website or application hosting and as well as large scale data analysis. Furthermore, you can free up more time for work by virtualizing administrative tasks.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Making certain cloud components available for developers to build applications as per their requirement. Essentially, it is a framework provided through the web upon which customized applications can be built. The computing resources can be managed either by a third-party or the merchandiser, whereas the application management is in the hands of the developers. Are you looking for cost-effective ways to develop and deploy an app? Well, you don't need to look any further. PaaS is simple and facilitates multiple tasks through a single environment to develop, test and host applications.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Also known as cloud application services, it is the most popular among online retailers allowing them to deliver applications, managed by third party merchants, to users. A large portion of these applications can be run directly through your web browser and therefore do not require any download or installation. So, all you really need is an internet connection to get started!
Let's do a quick recap:
- Get maximum flexibility by utilising IaaS for both data storage and hosting custom-built apps.
- Step back from infrastructure management and only focus on app development by availing a PaaS. Additional note: PaaS can be built on an IaaS to reduce system administration requirements.
- Make use of unique solutions to meet particular business needs via a wide range of SaaS. It can be built on both PaaS and IaaS. It's clear for all to see that IaaS is the foundation layer of other cloud service models. Some evident benefits of opting for an IaaS solution are:
- Inexpensive hardware - Businesses take advantage of the provider's burden to bear the cost of hardware purchase and maintenance. All the way from servers, storage to networking resources, all is taken care of by the infrastructure vendor you choose.
- Secure environment - Specially designed data centers to protect your data is a vendor's priority. Be rest assured that your workload is in safe hands as such data centers maintain tight security and have several precautionary measures in place.
- High Elasticity - Although all cloud-based solutions are scalable the scalability options made available to businesses by IaaS is unmatched. IaaS can be freely adjusted to match your workload, high or low. IaaS has been witnessing notable growth over the past few years because of these advantages and researchers have further predicted the growth in its market share due to some significant consumer behaviour. Some factors that are to cause this growth are:
- IaaS is a cost-effective alternative of having to acquire and manage hardware, so the need for cutting IT costs leads to the adoption of IaaS solution.
- The need to reduce physical infrastructure plays an essential role as businesses find it easier to manage and control virtual data centers.
- A secure and scalable cloud environment is a big incentive for customers.
- The rate at which edge computing is evolving, an IaaS solution is what helps business keep up and grow with it. Depending on the size of your businesses and the nature of operations you can make use of one or more cloud service models.
Are you in search of an IaaS provider with no vendor lock-in features? VEXXHOST is here to guide you through your cloud computing needs and set you up with the correct cloud environment based on OpenStack. Irrespective of whether you need a public infrastructure or are looking to get a private cloud, we have got you covered. Contact us to find out which service suits your needs and let the cloud journey begin!